Aloha Medical Mission is committed to improving the lives of our community in Hawai‘i. Education and prevention are the primary focus of our local programs for the underserved.
First Smile is Aloha Medical Mission’s Dental Education Program for Pre-School and Kindergarten Students
Program Fast Facts
- Oral health education and prevention program aimed to reach children at an earlier age to prevent dental complications as adults.
30-45-minute sessions in classrooms held with a dental hygienist (retired or student), nursing student, or trained community volunteers.
- Children learn how to brush and floss, the importance of regular checkups and about healthy snacks.
- Each child receives an activity bag including simple instructions on how to brush properly, a child’s toothbrush and toothpaste, an adult toothbrush and Aloha Medical Mission (AMM) Dental Clinic information for parents.
- Tours of the AMM Dental Clinic available for classes.
- Targeting underserved children from 14 low income housing communities in the Kalihi-Palama area. It is estimated more than 10,000 people live in these housing areas including Mayor Wright Homes, Kamehameha Homes, and Kuhio Park Terrace. There are 15 neighboring elementary schools with an average of 3 Kindergarten classes per school.
- There are 86 HCAP Head Start classes on Oahu, with 9 located in neighboring areas of AMM.
- Research suggests that oral health is linked to overall health and those with poor oral health may be at greater risk for diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus and adverse pregnancy outcomes.
- Pew Research Center study reported that Hawaii’s children have one of the highest rates of cavities in the nation
- First Smile is made possible by the kind generosity of the HDS Foundation and HMSA Foundation.
The Aloha Medical Mission is the only free dental clinic for adults in Hawaii. If you would like to get involved with First Smile, please contact Jessica Lozano, Outreach Hygienist at 847-3400, ext. 5 or email@example.com.
Welcome Smile is a temporary restorative dentistry program designed to help women who have experienced abuse or incarceration build their confidence so they may lead healthy and productive lives. Since 2011, the AMM has restored the smiles of hundreds of women — changing their lives by helping them to reenter the workforce and creating happier and healthier families!